Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Easter weekend at the desert house

My husband and I went out to the desert house for the Easter weekend.  I had great plans to make a nice ham dinner, but the weather was so lovely that I didn't want to be stuck in the house with a ham in the oven.

So we decided to try a new steak house that just opened called Mastro's Restaurant.  The web site calls the restaurant an "Unparalleled Dining Experience".  I'd say it was a good dinning experience, but I wouldn't rush back.  Both the food and service were quite good, but be prepared to have room on your credit card because it was expensive.  I will say that the crab cocktail appetizer was to die for.  My husband ordered a bone in rib-eye and I had the petite filet and both pieces of meat were excellent.  We ordered a side of brussel sprouts which were over cooked.  For dessert we selected their signature butter cake, which I'd pass on.  Overall, I think we would return to the bar for cocktails and small plate meals, but sadly not the restaurant dinning room.

In other news, it's a great time of year to visit the desert as the citrus fruit trees are bursting.

Grapefruit tree in Palm Desert, CA
Our neighbors grapefruit tree by our fence

I picked a few that were on my side of the fence.  They are huge, juicy, sweet, and delicious. 

Juicy grapefruit
Juicy grapefruit

On Saturday, we ran a few errands and picked up an ottoman for the master bedroom closet.  I originally wanted a bench seat so that I would be able to sit down and put on a pair of shoes, but the closet is a bit too narrow.  So I opted for the Threshold Single Storage Ottoman Stool with Hinged Top in Espresso, purchased at Target.  It works just great.  I was tired of sitting on the floor to put on my shoes ;-)

Threshold Single Storage Ottoman Stool with Hinge Top - Espresso
Ottoman in master bedroom closet

We also purchased a desk chair for the desk in the master bedroom.  The desk came from Cost Plus World Market and is the Konrad Mahogany desk.  The chair came from Lamps Plus and my husband removed the arms so the chair would slide under the desk.  The master bedroom is a very bright and warm room so I will enjoy sitting at this desk to work.  

Konrad Mahogany desk chair
Desk and chair in the master bedroom

Of course the original plan for the weekend, besides cooking a ham, was for my husband to work on the desk in the man cave (office).  However, he could not find the plans that he drew up.  So we did our errands and shopping.  As we were packing up to leave, my husband discovers the plans under his back pack.  Oh, well, we will probably go out this weekend as well and he can work on getting the office back together.

Cheers,
Monica

6 comments:

  1. i think that desk is cute and i'd love any of the food you mentioned! i think i'm hungry...haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi !

      We shopped for a desk - forever. Finally the desk was on sale and we bought it ;-)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Monica

      Delete
  2. Love the ottoman! What a great idea!

    Fresh citrus is so yummy and NOW is the season...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natasha,

      Thanks for stopping by! The ottoman is great .. and it's small so at least I can kick it out of the way if needed ;-)

      The grapefruits were delicious .. I only have one left :-(

      Monica.

      Delete
  3. Hehe I have the same desk lamp as you! :) I'll make sure to strategically place it in the background of one of my future blog photos. lol

    :) Fab house!!

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's funny! We've had that lamp for years. I think the lamp was purchased at an office supply store.

      Monica.

      Delete